Monday, February 4, 2008

Update

Alrighty folks, it's been a while since a for real update entry on Alex's life in Chicago. So here goes-
Last week was my first week of my last fall semester of school ever (god willing) and then I'll just have summer school.
I spent all January bouncing around from rehearsal to work which keeps me on my toes. The show is going really well. I have always been thankfull and proud to be in shows at Columbia that I have been in but This one is going so well, I totally foresaw this production as if i was a contestant on american gladiator, totally preparing myself for the emotional and proffessional beating of a lifetime-completely disheartening me making me question what I'm doing but I'm feeling more than really good about what I'm doing. And not just me- I've watched some of these scenes so many times and I'm still really interested in whats going on, and they get better and better each time. It feels like everyone cares about making this show really good. I had fun working at a proffesional theatre last year but the one thing that kept me from loving it completely was that it seemed like nobody really cared about doing the show-getting the point across, no matter what that point is. Granted it was a very different show but still. That's my favorite part of doing theatre, every once in a while getting into a show where 90 percent of the people aren't just doing the show for the recognition or the experience or "glory" but they are really trying to get a message across, really working towards telling the story truthfully. West Side Story is gonna be awesome, i just wish more people could come see it (hint hint, wink wink, guilt trip)
This show has also brought me roommates, The three male leads in the show-(me, Todd-who plays Bernardo, and Paul-who plays Tony ) and My friend Sam who plays Anybodies decided to get a place together this summer for the four of us which could actually be cheaper for everyone. plus it'll be nice to have more than one roommate and I'll be graduated and, the best part, NOBODY HAS A STUPID CAT! YAY!
Work is always interesting, I've gotten to do some pretty neat stuff-Gotten to see some shows for free that i otherwise wouldn't have been able too. I saw My Fair Lady, the Broadway touring cast and it was very cool- not my personal favorite show but it was pretty, I saw this new pop opera called Bare- loved it.
I auditioned for a major show in Chicago, They didn't exactly call me back but they did....I'm meeting with the musical director sometime this week and he's gonna teach me some stuff and then I'll do it for the producer sometime and then if they like me then I'll do if for the Director of the show from New York and if I get through all that and get a job, I'd be a Swing which means I would learn three or four parts and when someone can't do a show, that means I'd do it which is crazy but a HUGE deal. Wish me luck

1 comment:

K.S. said...

Alex! I have been thinking about you like CRAZY lately! How weird! I miss you, bub! And YES, I'd LOVE to see West Side Story!

What are the show dates?!

Y'know, I stole the show when I was 16 as "Anybody's"...